Tuesday, July 14, 2009

This drives me up the wall. Literally.

I try not to complain much on my blog. As a general rule I hate complainers.

However, I have a very specific pet peeve I'd like to share. When people add the word "literally" when using a figure of speech it makes me crazy. I was reminded of my aversion to this practice recently when it happened twice in the same meeting.


Quote 1: "Joe literally got beat up and bloodied by the legislature this
session."

Really? He looks OK to me.


Quote 2: "We've really struggled with this issue. We've been hitting our heads
agains a brick wall. Literally."

Wow. You have been literally bashing your skull against a wall made of bricks? Literally? I would not recommend that. And if it's true, I hope you have YouTube videos to show the world. I'd give me right arm to see that.

Literally.

3 comments:

LaurieJo said...

Great post! Laughed out loud. Figuratively.

Erick said...

good post. touche

Thoughts42Day said...

very funny!