Thursday, July 9, 2009

In the Air with Mike Anderson


I occasionally have the opportunity to fly for business and pleasure, and when I do I often strike up a conversation with my fellow travelers (yep, I'm that guy).

I recently took my first flight out of the Columbia Regional Airport (COU for you frequent flyers), which, by the way, was a great experience. If you haven't tried it yet, I would highly recommend it. The 15-minute drive home after landing was awesome.

Mike Anderson, Mizzou's baskeball coach, was also on my flight to Memphis. Our plane had some mechanical issues that forced us to de-plane and hang out at the gate, which gave me time to speak with the coach.

He was heading to Birmingham to visit his family before starting a month-long recruiting trip. Now I'm a fairly busy guy, as we all are, and I understand that Coach Anderson is compesated royally for his efforts. But his schedule is impressive. In July he'll travel to various states to sit in the living rooms of 16- and 17-year-olds, most of whom will end up not playing basketball at MU. He'll take August off from traveling (per NCAA rules), but still be busy both with recruiting for the future and ... oh yeah ... getting the current Mizzou team ready to play.

The schedule doesn't let up during the season, as the staff is constantly switching hats from coaching to recruiting, present to future, and back again.

No over-arching life lesson or broad observations today. Basically, I just wanted to brag that I met Mike Anderson. :-)

1 comment: