Thursday, January 15, 2009

TV is back!

I haven't been all that excited about TV programming for quite some time, and was particularly board with last fall's offerings. Besides "The Office," I didn't really follow a single current show. But January has brought a lot of great stuff back that I'm excited about. A quick run-down.

24
The first 4 hours from this week have been as good as I can remember from 24 for quite awhile. Jack Bauer is the Shaft of our generation. He's a bad mother...
The "putting the band back together" feel of this season has already been rewarding, and the fast-paced nature of the season so far means the plot shifts on a regular basis (sometimes even within a single episode).


LOST
This has been my favorite show for awhile now. I'm a sucker for a good, long, detailed story (whether on TV, from a book, or in a video game), and LOST fits the profile. Also, the weekly discussions with family, friends, and the online community about what the hell is going on adds to the fun of the show.


I'm also impressed that the producers/creators/writers made a deal with ABC to cut the show off after a finite number of episodes. LOST should not die a slow death (see Alias) or get cancelled after a great season finale cliffhanger (Joan of Arcadia).
(Aside - Yes, I watched Joan of Arcadia and loved it. A little sappy, perhaps, but a good solid family drama that also included God jumping into the bodies of random people to help guide the main character. Worth a DVD rental if you missed it.)

Battlestar Gallactica
We were a little late to the party on this show, but it was fun to catch up on DVD and a great ride since. I haven't been as excited about the series of late, but I have to know the identity of the final Cylon, so I'll be watching.

American Idol
Idol is my reality show guilty pleasure. I've particularly enjoyed a couple changes in the early 2009 episodes. The new judge - Kara, I think - is good (for the love of all that is good and holy, please fire Paula now). They've also shown fewer awful singers (the gag is getting old, and they've realized it) and added more tear-jerking, Olympics-syle stories about the contestants. My favorite so far is the welder from Oklahoma.

So there it is - excitement for Spring '09 TV. What about you? Anything you're watching, or have given up on, of late?

3 comments:

LaurieJo said...

I'm particularly excited that Scrubs is back, albeit on a competing network, for one final season. The last couple seasons were a little disappointing, but so far, so good this season.

Other than Scrubs, we watch The Office and 30 Rock. The latter really surprised us with the nonstop wit, and I can honestly not get enough of Alec Baldwin as the sharp but insensitive rich, white Republican.

DVD said...

The only 1 of these shows I watch is Lost. What did you think of the season opener?

Brian said...

I was a fan of the opener, though the weird time travel stuff isn't my favorite part.

I do love that we're watching the show (and I guess always have been to some degree) from at least two distinct points in time. Thought it can sometimes cause confusion, I like the complexities of this strategy.