Friday, January 30, 2009

Please wear your damn seat belt


I've waited quite awhile to get on my soapbox about seat belts on the blog, for fear of sounding preachy or cranky-old-man-y. But it's getting ridiculous, especially in Missouri.

Three of every four Missourians do not wear their seatbelts. That makes me sad. But get this: 70% of people who die in traffic crashes are UNBUCKLED. For teenagers, the number jumps to 80%. And these are kids who have pretty much always been buckled by their parents. Now they're cool-kid James Dean move is to drive without a belt on? Really?

Here's the thing: We have a solution that would really help. It's called a Primary Seat Belt Law. Most states have it. Missouri doesn't.

Today, you cannot get pulled over in Missouri for not wearing a seat belt. If you get a ticket for something else, the officer can tack on a $10 seat belt fine. As you might have guessed, this is not particularly effective.

In states that have passed Primary Seat Belt laws, their usage jumped 10% immediately. Soon after their traffic death rates went down. This isn't rocket science. It's basic cause and effect.

Opponents cling to their rights of freedom and privacy (on a public roadway paid for with public dollars). Until they get in a crash. Then the expectation is for the insurance company (to whom all drivers contribute) or the government (to whom all people contribute) to cover medical expenses -- expenses that would have been greatly reduced by using a proven safety device installed in every vehicle.

I don't generally lean toward increased regulation of people's personal decisions, but in this case I believe it's appropriate to legislate some safety into our state, for the greater good of all.


Here's my ask:

1) Wear your seatbelt. Buckle your kids.

2) Take a look at the information on www.savemolives.com.

3) Join the converstation. I understand this is not a black & white issue, and I enjoy the discussion.


9 comments:

Erick said...

But Brian what happens if I crash and my car catches on fire, melting something that prohibits me from getting my seat belt off and as I'm burning to death, my car plunges into a river and begins to fill with water. Now I will not burn to death, but because the seat belt is stuck I will drown? In this case a seat belt took a life.

I'll take may chances and continue to ride unbuckled in case the foregoing happens; which is clearly more likely than any other type of crash.

By the way, I completely agree with you on seat belts (and the preference for a lack of regulatory control). Seriously, come on, just put on the seat belt.

LaurieJo said...

I'm shocked at those statistics! I am the worst person I know about wearing a seatbelt, and I wear mine 98% of the time. (I forget things a lot)

So, yeah, if I notice anyone, I'll give them the speech and mean it!

DVD said...

Car manufacturers should make the seat belt warning a buzzer or something extremely annoying, can't be turned off, and gets louder every 30 seconds. How's that?

Hyphin said...

Dan and I buckle up.
The vehicle does not move until Phin is safely in his seat.

However, I do have a friend in another state who did not buckle up... until she GOT A TICKET for not wearing her seat belt. I don't know, but I think she uses it pretty consistently now.

Thoughts42Day said...

I'm with DVD. Except for instead of an annoying buzzer how about a shock of electric current? It worked for Pavlov.

Seriously though - preach on honey!

Anonymous said...

Interesting variant

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

DVD said...

I disagree with Anonymous Spammer, your newer posts are not as good as your older ones.

I kid.

Brian said...

I like the Anonymous Spammer who gives compliments. Thanks, AS.