Sunday, January 28, 2007

review - zelda twilight princess


OK, so I got the Nintendo Wii and Twlight Princess for Christmas. I played through it, beat it, and put in 60+ hours to do so. I enjoyed the game, but it didn't really rank in the "Top all-time video gaming experiences" like I expected it might. Overhype? Maybe. Pickiness? Likely.

First off, this is a very good game. Lots of dungeons, good enemies, pretty good story, and some great gameplay mechanics with the Wii remote (particularly the grapple and bow & arrow). I enjoyed being a wolf, liked the variety of dungeons (though the generally follow the same type as every other adventure game ever), and even thought some of the NPCs were interesting.

TP also added some nice new tools/weapons not previously seen in an Zelda game. But even with all that, I felt a little disappointed. The boss battles were extremely easy -- I never felt like I was going to die and have to come back. And once I figured out what to do, it seemed like I only had to do it 3-4-5 times to kill the boss.

Side quests were virtually non-existent. Everything you did filtered into the main story. This has some benefit, but I would have liked to see more shooting ranges, target practice, and skill challenges ala Ocarina of Time. Particularly with the Wiimote addition, mini-games would have been a welcome addition.

It's also important to note that I played through this game in about six weeks -- much faster than my typically experience. That might have been what made the game feel shorter than it was. In terms of the calendar, it was a short game.

In the end, I put TP in the middle of the pack of my Zelda gaming experiences. I enjoyed it, but not as much as Ocarina or Majora's Mask -- and none of them provided the experience of the original for me.

No comments: