Tuesday, January 9, 2007

gaming 2.0

In my 25 years of video game playing, the games have been relatively similar. In 1981 I used Pac-Man to clear levels. Pitfall Harry jumped over crocodiles. "The square" killed dragons and collected keys to open castle doors. In the mid-80's Mario and Link replaced Harry and square with increased graphics and complexity, but with similar themes -- unlock doors with keys, jump over bad guys, and save Princess Peach and Zelda, respectively.

The 90's brought 3D graphics, but again, the story stayed the same. In each of the previous gaming generations, my most vivid memories are beating an intense boss, finishing a game, or discovering a new tool/weapon. In each case, I completed these tasks alone (or with someone watching over my shoulder, but not involved).

With the popularity of games like Dance Dance Revolution, Guitar Hero, and the Nintendo Wii, I see a significant change occurring. "Gaming 2.0," if you will. Instead of my focus always being the TV, it is becoming as much fun to watch others play as to play myself.

25 years after receiving an Atari 2600 for Christmas (the aforementioned 1981), I received a Nintendo Wii. In that 25 years I do not recall ever playing video games with my dad. But on Christmas Day 2006, at 30 years old (and Dad at 60), I found myself playing Wii Golf with my father, watching my parents battle it out in Wii Bowling, and feeling strangely sentimental.

Gaming has finally gone beyond the TV screen, after past failed attempts (e.g. Power Glove). It is a new day for video games, one that breaks the barriers of "gamer" and "non-gamer" and creates a game that anyone can pick up and play. I for one am excited for the possibilities.

No comments: