Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Favorites of 2010

I'm a sucker for lists, and for "best of" lists specifically, so for the last couple years I've put together a favorites lists of my own. Here are my Favorites of 2009, Favorites of 2008, and More Favorites of 2008 (I was apparently very happy with '08).

Following is the list for 2010, heavily influenced by our move this year from Columbia, Missouri to Seattle, Washington.

Breakfast: Top Pot Colossal Apple Fritter
It's no secret that our family is in love with Top Pot Doughnuts (my currently problem fitting into my jeans is evidence). I haven't had a bad donut at Top Pot, but my personal favorite is the Colossal Apple Fritter. At the risk of offending (and knowing a true blind taste test is virtually impossible) it beats my previous favorite fritter: Schulte's in Jefferson City, MO.

Snack: Nutella & Pretzels
Not much to explain here. Nutella (hazelnut + cocoa spread) is freaking awesome.

Dinner: Real Seafood
I didn't know fish could taste this good (no offense, Captain D). Scallops and crab are on the top of my list for taste. For the combination of price and taste, I'm currently stuck on Ivar's White Clam Chowder (see aforementioned shrinking jeans).

New Album: Arcade Fire, Suburbs
I actually haven't listened to a ton of new music this year, and compared to the last couple years of new released by huge artists (U2, Dave Matthews), it was a little quieter, at least for me. Suburbs was constantly in the background in my office this fall.
(Runner up: Mumford & Sons, Sigh No More)

New to me Albums: Johnny Cash, At Folsom Prison and At San Quentin
First off, this is just a great record with Cash at his best. But what impacted me more was the story behind this and other prison albums, and Johnny Cash's passion for the underrepresented throughout his life and career. The guy was famously imperfect, but imperfect in a way that I find myself wanting to be. When I listen through this album, I want to be a better person. I call that pretty darn good art.

At the risk of writing a full Johnny Cash post, I also recently ran across two Cash articles this year that I really liked: Johnny Cash Gives You the Finger and Johnny Cash's Complicated Faith. According to Bono, "Every man knows he is a sissy compared to Johnny Cash."

Tourist Destination: EMPSFM
The Experience Music Project Science Fiction Museum has been a must see for any visitors we've had in town so far. EMP is an incredible mix of hands-on music experiences, traditional museum fare, and a room of audio and video interviews with hundreds of musicians. SFM is a visual feast for Trekkies, Star Wars geeks, and Battlestar nerds.
Runners up: Friday Harbor, Woodland Park Zoo, Golden Gardens

Addition by Subtraction: Wal-Mart
I haven't stepped inside a Wal-Mart since April. Though I sometimes miss the cheap "one-stop-shop" of the Supercenter, I've enjoyed coupon clipping and grocery store ad scouring, and we've recently discovered Fred Meyer (which is basically the West Coast Wal-Mart).
Runner up: Car #2

Media Getter: Netflix
We survived solely on Netflix over the summer, ditching cable for a few months to save cash as we got settled in (that lasted until Week 2 of football season). Particular love Netflix streaming for Wii. Netflix for iPod Touch is great, too, though I was surprised I liked it. There is something that feels a little powerful about holding an entire library of movies in my hand. I'm just sayin'.

View: Our Bedroom Window
It's pretty exciting for a small town Missouri kid to have a mountain view from my house (even if it's just a couple inches of the Olympics).

Game: Pokemon
I haven't really played many video games this year, and nothing new comes to mind. But I've had fun playing Pokemon with the kids for the past couple months. It's fun and mildly addictive - the perfect combination.
Potential 2011 winners: Wii Fit Plus, Ticket to Ride

Blog: rapping by Bill Cox
Dr. William C. Cox was my childhood preacher, and he remains the pastor of First Baptist Church in Nevada, Missouri (over 30 years). He started blogging this year, and I really like his stuff. It's straight forward, a little folksy, and as unpretentious as I would expect.

Proudest Sports Day: Mizzou vs. Oklahoma
This doubled as my Most Homesick Day, as we enjoyed the festivities in Columbia afar. ESPN GameDay on Mizzou's campus was beautiful, and it only got better seeing Facebook and Twitter photos from friends all day long. It was topped off by an incredible win against the then-#1 team in the country. A great sports day.
Runner up: Chiefs vs. Seahawks at Qwest Field - cheering for the visitors.

Event: A Real Date with Janelle + Brandi Carlile + the Seattle Symphony
We've not typically been big "going out" people over the years, so this was a great experience. We hired a real-life, paid babysitter, dressed up, went out to dinner, and then saw an incredible concert. My highlight of the show was seeing how excited Janelle got when Brandi Carlile first took the stage. Awesome.
Runner up: Whale watching in Northern Washington

So there we are. 2010 in a favorites list. Here's to 2011!

4 comments:

Erick said...

A great list. Looking forward to seeing and taking part in some of these things in 2011.

Niki Harris said...

I understand that you couldn't post favorite out of town visitors in this venue but I'll go ahead and read between the lines.

Anna Casey said...

Really enjoyed this! Best read of 2011 so far.

Brian said...

@Erick - deal

@Niki - (no comment / wink)

@CVD - Thanks. I'll be clipping your comment to read "Best read of 2011..." when I monetize the blog later this year. :-)