Wednesday, December 31, 2008

A Few More Favorites

I came up with a few more favorites from the year that was.


New Discovery: MKT Trail
I've lived in Columbia since 1996 and had never been on the trail until this summer. We took the kids a couple times and had a blast


Photo: This one


Janelle got a new camera this fall, and she's taken a ton of great pictures. This shot of me and the kiddos is on the aforementioned MKT trail in Columbia. I think it looks like we're walking in The Shire from Middle Earth.

Month: September
We often complain about how we go directly from summer to winter around here sometimes. This autumn was an incredible exception. I think we cooked, ate, and played outside more this past September than the entire last couple years. I can't wait until spring when we can do it again.


New Foods: Lobster and Sushi (not necessarily together)
I was fortunate to have my first real lobster dinner at a business conference in New Orleans this spring. Yum.The sushi introduction was a bit less exciting (refrigerated section of Hy-Vee), but also tasty. I'm a fan of both.


Poppy Love Song: Come On Get Higher, Matt Nathanson
Nothing particularly deep or special about this one, but I simply cannot turn the radio dial when it's on. A great sing-along song.


Kid-Friendly Movies: Prince Caspian
I'm loving our kids ages (8 & 5), as it means we've entered into true "Family Movie" territory. We're watching movies and TV shows together that we all enjoy. Don't get me wrong, I'm as big a Blue's Clues and Ruff Ruffman fan as anyone my age, but it's been fun to start watching Big Kid stuff, too.

Prince Caspian is a much better movie experience than Lion/Witch/Wardrobe, mainly because it's a better story for the screen. The battles are done well, even without much (if any) blood. And Blake even survived the "romantic" part at the end. Good show.

TV Show: Star Wars, The Clone Wars
First of all, this is not a great show. It is a very fun Saturday-morning-type cartoon that Blake and I have enjoyed together. I make the kids wait for me to watch each new episode -- just in case there is a scary part (but mainly because I want to see it).


Another Book: In Defense of Food, Michael Pollan
The author makes a compelling argument that most of what we eat in our current culture is not food, but "edible foodlike substance." As discussed before, I'm a sucker for anti-status quo writing. His suggestion is simple but not easy: Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants.

Another Website: www.kayak.com
This travel site takes the best of the others (Expedia, Travelocity, etc.) and puts them in one place. It also adds a piece that is missing from most of the others: Southwest Airlines.


Feel free to share more of your favorites. You have about 15 hours 'til 2009!

1 comment:

Anna Casey said...

Seriously, new friend, I want to blurt out "WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU?" (I guess I just blurted) How could you be here 12 years and not be on the trail?

Nice pic though...