Tuesday, December 22, 2009

I Heart Seattle

I ran across some travel journal notes I'd taken on our trip to Seattle this past spring, so I've converted them to blog form -- mainly for myself to help remember the trip.

WEDNESDAY

Fish Throwers - check
It's "As Seen on TV." They yell the fish, throw the fish, catch the fish, sell the fish. Since the media wasn't around (I guess my camera phone didn't count), the staff weren't quite as "on" as I've seen them on television. But is was fun nonetheless.

What I wasn't ready for was "Rabid Fan," a gentleman with a notebook containing each fish thrower's photo and autograph. He was asking who was working today in an attempt to fill out his book. I intially wrote him off as a weirdo, as I'm not a fish market superfan., but quickly realized that I have plenty of "weirdo-ness" myself about other topics, events, and celebrities that many would find lame.

Sleepless in Seattle Reference #1
Janelle is a big fan of the movie, so it was fitting that our first Seattle meal together was at a restaurant from the film. The food was good (fresh seafood is my all-time favorite), and the view of Puget Sound was beautiful.

Starbucks Run #1 (of many)
I've already consumed more Starbucks coffee this week than in my entire life before this trip. I've become a fan. We visited the very first Starbucks (1971) and ordered something coffee-sounding that ended in "-ocha." I'll expect to be a pro by the time we leave, and probably suffering from extreme caffeine high.

Hotel + Mall + Sleep
I purchased a much-needed jacket (it's colder than expected) and hit the bed early. We had started the day at 2:45 AM Pacific Time, so 7:30 PM seemed like a good time to get some sleep.

THURSDAY (aka Nerdfest Day)


Sleepless in Seattle Reference #2
Before the nerdfest began, we spent some time on Alki beach in West Seattle (apparently it's the location where Tom Hanks and the kid are flying a kite towards the end of the movie). Beautiful place with a view of the city.

Nerdfest #1: Science Fiction Museum
I liked this museum, but felt that I didn't know enough about the source material to truly love it. It is well done and had an impressive amount of nerdy eye candy -- especially for Trekkies. I particularly liked the R2-D2 and Death Star models.

Nerdfest #2: Experience Music Project
Holy crap. I could have spent days in this museum, listening to every song and reading every plaque in this incredible place. It was a sensory feast, visually, audially, and tactilly. An entire room is devoted to Jimi Hendrix (who I learned this week is from Seattle), and similar displays on the grunge movement of the early 1990s (my favorite retro music era).

The experience also included sound rooms for guitar, piano, drums, and vocals. I spent a few minutes banging on the drums (it's been awhile) and got revitalized. For anyone who loves music, this is a must-see.

Nerdfest #3: Nintendo of America Headquarters
I previously blogged about this experience here. Recap: It was fun.

FRIDAY & SATURDAY

Mars Hill Graduate School
Janelle had interviews on Friday morning, so I went off on a self-guided walking tour of downtown. I rode the Space Needle, enjoyed more Starbucks, and walked back to Pike Place Market to watch more fish throwing. Lots of walking in a very walkable city, and I took a bunch of fun pictures. Here's one:


The remainder of the weekend was a fast-paced, exciting, mind- and heart-bending time of learning. Mars Hill Graduate School is a special place, and I'm excited for Janelle as she pursues her dream. I'm also selfishly excited for me, as the school does an incredible job of including spouses in the process. If we do this thing, I'll be able to sit in on her classes free of charge any time my schedule allows, and I can participate in a special council devoted to spouses of students.

(Editor's note: Janelle was invited to attend graduate school at MHGS. The current plan is a move to Seattle in 2010, with school starting in the fall.)


2 comments:

Julie Stirnaman said...

I'm so excited for both you and Janelle. I anticipate this being such a great adventure for you both! AND selfishly, I can't wait to visit!!

Brian said...

Agreed, and we can't wait to have you come up!