Thursday, April 2, 2009

Mario & Me

I've been playing Nintendo for over 20 years, starting with the classics (Super Mario Bros., Metroid, Double Dribble).  I saved one of my first month's earnings as a paper boy (35 smackers) and road my bike to Wal-Mart to purchase The Legend of Zelda.  My life would never be the same.

Fast forward two decades, and I'm playing Wii Bowling and Lego Star Wars with my wife and kids.  Good stuff.

Last week I spent a few days in Seattle with Janelle, and had the chance to visit Nintendo of America Headquarters.  The actual experience was underwhelming -- the visitor center is the size of a hotel gift shop with roughly the same selection (there were no games for sale).  We did come out with stuffed Nintendo characters for the kiddos and a Hyrulian shield full of candy.

But that wasn't the point.

I stood at the center of my gaming universe, and couldn't help but feel 12 years old again. 


1 comment:

DVD said...

Awesome! Glad you had the chance. Super Nintendo was the last time I was proficient at any video gaming system. Sigh.