Thursday, April 30, 2009

people are just people like you

For me, the first listen of a new CD, is usually an underwhelming experience. It usually takes me at least 3-4 times through to really latch on to it, and to pick out my favorites.

The same thing was happening last week as I started Regina Spektor's "Soviet Kitsch." Until I hit Track 9.

"The Ghost of Corporate Future" has been in my head for three days now. As with much of Spektor's music, she couples an addictingly simple piano hook with lyrics just as captivating but much more complex. I'm reminded of the big picture -- that my latest presentation, e-mail, and budget discussions don't really matter.

I've copied out a few of my favorite lyrics from the song, but do yourself a favor and watch the video below, or better yet, pick up the CD on Amazon here.

Imagine you go away
On a business trip one day
And when you come back home,
Your children have grown
And you never made your wife moan,
Your children have grown
And you never made your wife moan...

And people make you nervous
You'd think the world is ending,
And everybody's features have somehow started blending
And everything is plastic, And everyone's sarcastic,
And all your food is frozen,
It needs to be defrosted...

You'd think the world was ending,
You'd think the world was ending,
You'd think the world was ending right now...

Well maybe you should just drink a lot less coffee,
And never ever watch the ten o'clock news.
Maybe you should kiss someone nice,
Or lick a rock,
Or both...

People are just people,
People are just people,
People are just people like you.



1 comment:

Thoughts42Day said...

Love it! I still can't believe the first time we heard about Regina Spektor was on CBS Sunday Morning with Charles Osgood!! I think her music is refreshing and artistic - I love how she doesn't follow the pattern of most musicians - her lyrics and music are often awkward - making it a more raw experience.