Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Beef & Cheddar Pizza



As a kid I have great memories of pizza. Our family often enjoyed the Pizza Hut buffet after church on Sundays, where my brother and I would hold pizza-eating contests among ourselves and other friends in the restaurant that day (I went to a big church in a small town, so we were rarely without other church-goers at lunch).

My favorite topping was Beef & Cheddar.

Later on Pizza Hut introduced the Bigfoot Pizza -- a 1ft by 2ft rectangle of yumminess. It quickly became a staple at parties and our house. Again, the predominant topping combo was beef + cheddar cheese.


Then it disappeared.


I'm not sure what happened, but I recently realized I haven't had a Beef & Cheddar pizza for years, maybe decades. 

I've discovered a new topping that has become a favorite: Pineapple. On a thin and crispy Dominoes pizza pie, it's very good. I finished a medium nearly single-handedly just last month.

But I still think back to the 1980s days of Beef & Cheddar fondly, and wonder if others shared my love of this long lost topping combination, or some other combo of the past.


2 comments:

Thoughts42Day said...

MMmmmm....that sounds good. I did recently see a menu that offered cheeseburger pizza. It had beef, cheddar and pickles...not sure about the pickle part. Anytime you are up for reliving your childhood by ordering beef & cheddar pizza I am game.
I love good childhood food memories - thanks for sharing!

Erick said...

Pizza Hut used to (and maybe still does as I have not eaten at a Pizza Hut for years) have BBQ pizza. That was yummy.

MMM Pizza. Maybe I'll be having some pizza for lunch today. I love pizza. I could eat it for a month and not grow tired of it. Laurie probably thinks sometimes we do eat it for a month.