Thursday, September 16, 2010

So certain. So wrong.

So I'm at Borders in the airport, and overheard a conversation between co-workers.

Hipsters 20s Dude: Look at this passage in this book. I can't believe it got through the editor. "...and then none of them was chosen for the position." It's ridiculous!

Bored co-worker Girl: Mmm-hmmm.

Dude: It's just crazy. Don't they read the book before they sell it?

Bored Girl: Hmmm.

Of course, Hipster Dude was incorrect, as the sentence is written correctly; to his credit, it does sound strange. (Thanks, 6th grade English class!)

What struck me that day is how often I am so certain about things and make a big deal about how ridiculous something is, without ever realizing that I'm wrong. So certainly wrong.

It gave me pause to chill out a bit before going off on my next rant.

(But don't worry, there will be plenty of certainly wrong rants to come, but at least I'll share them after a slight pause.)


No comments: