Friday, January 8, 2010

...that's the book for me.


After 33+ years in church, hundreds of sermons, Sunday school classes, Jesus camps, and quiet times, I must confess I've not read every word in the Bible. It seems strange to me that I've claimed this book as a guide for life, yet I haven't read the darn thing.

That being said, my New Year's Resolution is not marking off "Bible Read Daily" this year. As a kid/teen/college student I tried the "read the Bible in a year" a number of times with little success. I never made it past the mid-February, Book of Numbers hump. I blame Pagiel son of Ochran.

What I am playing around with is changing my approach. Instead of looking to the Bible primarily for what it can do for me (though I believe it has plenty of utility for this purpose), I'm heading a different direction. Instead of scripture reading being a daily task, chore, homework, or check box, I want to enjoy the read. I want to experience the Good Book like it's a good book.

So I've picked up a chronologically-organized Bible in an attempt to read it the way I've read Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, or the DaVinci Code. Like a novel, with characters and plots and bad guys and morally grey good guys and kings and battles and special effects and whores and murderers and excessive alcohol use and peace and hope and love.

I'm a spurt reader, often putting in 6-8 hours into a book on a business trip, then leaving the book sitting near my bed at home for 6 weeks, unopened. I expect I'll read this one the
same way. Maybe I'll finish it in a few months. Maybe it'll take me longer than a year. Maybe I won't finish it at all. No matter.

My wife shared a blog post with me last week by Michael Spencer that was particularly helpful, and I'd recommend reading the entire article here. In it, he captures some of what I'm wrestling with.

Changing how I think about the Bible has been the most significant thing in my own experience with Jesus. In my formative years, we carried Bibles and quoted the Bible, argued about the Bible and used the Bible to prove we were right...

It’s not a dictionary, or an encyclopedia, or a manual of how to do or fix things. It’s God’s story, and our story, and God’s story again. It’s a story you believe and join. It’s not a chart of the future or the past. It’s the truth of life. It’s deep, but not like engineering schematics are deep. It’s deep like the best novels or the best poetry.

So that's where I'm headed -- to experience this story like a story. Wish me luck.

1 comment:

The Casady Clan said...

I'm with you. I can read fiction books like there's no tomorrow, but have had a difficult time in reading through the Bible as well. The New Testament, maybe, but I get stuck many places in the OT. Maybe I'll try the chronological thing as well. I'd been trying a different version (Contemporary English or Message) on Bible Gateway, but they also have a Chronological choice.