Sunday, May 17, 2009

"Good luck on your project"

I have a particular interest in customer service, both in government work 
(where I've spent the last decade)  and retail (see recent post on my Best Buy experience).

A Menards Home Improvement store just opened in Columbia, and I hadn't been yet.  I was initially frustrated that I couldn't search specific products on their website (Home Depot is the online winner), but I thought I'd give it a shot anyway.  At least I'd be able to say "yes" when asked by my home improvement friends about the new store.

Menards is impressive.  It's big, varied, and at least for now the prices seems to be better than HD and Lowes.  I picked up a couple screen doors for our patios and a light fixture.

Here's the money shot:  On the way out, an employee asked me if I'd found everything I needed (typical - no big deal).  I said yeah, and then kept walking, as did he.  But his parting words to me were, "Good luck on your project today!"

For some reason it really touched me.  I felt a connection to this guy (though I can't even remember his face) and to Menards.  I'm not exactly "handy," so to get encouragement - especially someone who I assume is pretty good at this stuff - felt great.

It's weird the things that make a difference.  I installed the screen doors, and I'd like to think that the "Luck of Menards" might have played a part.   I'm amazed how much I clamor for encouraging words, and for relational connections, no matter how small.  Even at the hardware store.

Hmmm... I wrote "Even at the hardware store" as if it's a less likely relationship destination tha home, church, or with friends.  But maybe if I open myself up to embracing connections everywhere, and enjoy them as they happen, it will help me engage in even longer-lasting, deeper relationships as well.

Even with the people I love most.


1 comment:

LaurieJo said...

Wow, Brian! That was a very cool observation of the moment. It inspires me to look for connections outside the usual places. :)

Good luck at work today!