Saturday, February 28, 2009

Messaging Myself (not Massaging)

(Just clarifying)

When I'm in a situation without access to pen and paper and need to leave myself a ToDo or another message, I'll sometimes call my office phone to leave a message. This puts me in the awkward position of talking to myself, and then listening to the awkward message.

I find myself feeling that I should still abide by some code of message giving: saying "hello" or "hey" as an intro, having some conversation with the future me, and then signing off with a "bye" or even a "see ya." When I hear it later, it just sounds weird.

But when I don't do it, it almost feels weirder.

Am I alone on this one? Anyone else call or e-mail yourself with important (or not so important) messages? Do you include salutations?





7 comments:

LaurieJo said...

I used to do that a lot when I worked. I would call my work phone and leave myself messages frequently! Each message included all of the appropriate pleasantries. I always felt weird, too, but sometimes I would be in public leaving the message and felt rude if someone heard me just hang up.

Erick said...

Hello,

How are you? Good. I email myself frequently with to do lists and do not include pleasantries. I don't know if the fact that I am typically doing that from my phone has anything to do with that or not, but it is a fact.

Thanks and hope you have a good day. Bye.

Brian said...

Bravo.

Anonymous said...

Reminds me of the Friends episode when Ross calls his answering machine to leave a message...don't remember specifics...do remember it was hilarious.
I have a voice recording feature on my cell and i use that (no greetings to myself though). Also, i'll e-mail my gmail account from work regularly when i think of something i need to do later or a find a website link i want to explore at another time (again, no greetings or salutations though)

Brian said...

(...no greetings or salutations though)

To bad. You're missing out on some great opportunities to bolster your self esteem:


Hey Big Guy,

Grab some milk. You're a force to be reckoned with.

Impressed by your awesomeness,
You (3 hours ago)

Thoughts42Day said...

The only time I remember leaving "message" for myself was when I was in about third grade and I liked to play pretend and I wanted to have a phone conversation..but there was only me. So I got a tape recorder and taped the other side of a phone conversation so I could talk to someone (very Parent Trap-like technology). So it when like:

"Hello?"

(5 second pause)

"This is her"

(another pause)

"Your kidding!"

(dramatic pause)

"I can't believe it!!"

(Pause)

"Thank you for telling me, I'll get right on it!"

(pause)

"Yes, Goodbye"

(sound of phone being put down)

Is that what you meant? If so - I relate. If not then...nevermind.

DVD said...

Based on your suggestions, Brian, think you DO mean massaging yourself.

Like Mark, I'll send messages to Gmail. Often they'll be like 1 word just to prompt me. I never realized how boring that was.