Saturday, February 28, 2009

I've never called my congressman...

I've never been politically active, assuming most "representatives" are more likely to be representing themselves.  I doubted any effort on my part to contact my local legislator would make a difference; on top of that, I didn't really have a particular issue - especially at the state level - I felt strongly about.

Until now.

Missouri has 500+ primary traffic laws an officer can pull you over for violating, including:
  • Burned out tail light or license plate light
  • Dark tinted windows

The single violation not included on this "primary" list is the law requiring seat belt use.  It does exist, but has been relegated to "secondary" status.

House Bill 665 will change the current seat belt law's status to primary, and in doing so will save 90+ lives and prevent hundreds of injuries each year (based on similar states' experience).  As a traffic safety engineer, there is no tool in my toolbox that can make that big an impact so quickly -- and at no cost to the state or taxpayers.

I've never "mobilized a movement" or even asked a friend to call their senator.  Today's the day.  If this issue is of interest to you, please consider the following:
  • Look up your local legislators in the House and Senate and contact them via e-mail or phone to express your support for HB 665.
  • Contact members of the House Transportation Committee.  They will be hearing the bill in early March.
  • Visit www.savemolives.com to join the Primary Safety Belt effort and find more ways to get involved.
Thanks for reading through my soapboxes this spring about seat belts.  In my line of work and passion, this is one of the most important efforts I've been involved with.


1 comment:

LaurieJo said...

Well, if Gary Pinkel says so, I'll be buckled up . . . and that's not sarcasm.

Seriously, though, amen.