Monday, November 17, 2008

Where's the Funny?


I'm not a newspaper guy, but the break room in my office has a St. Louis Post, so I occasionally skim over it at some point during the day.


I had an epiphany this week as I was looking over the Funny Pages. They're not funny. As I read through the comics (Ziggy, For Better or Worse, Family Circus, etc.), I was amazed at the lack of humor.


Zero laughs above the fold.


Things got a little better with Dilbert lower on the page, but I've determined that the laughs per comic strip metric is not good -- at least for me.


It sure seems that comics were comical when I was a kid. The Far Side comes to mind. But maybe that's it. Garfield wasn't really funny, and Peanuts seemed to get less funny each year.


Maybe it's me. Perhaps I'm just not a "comic strip guy." There are definitely things I laugh at (Stephen Colbert, The Office, Saturday Night Live, dirty limericks), but this just wasn't it.


2 comments:

Erick said...

"dirty limericks" made me laugh. That is one more laugh for your blog than comics have given in the last 10 years. It should be noted that I don't look at the comics so that may not be fair, but still accurate.

DVD said...

I never thought the comics were funny either. Yet I couldn't wait to read them (had to wait till dad was done). Remember when Family Circus would do one where the boy was called in the house and the little dotted line would show his trek all over the yard before he made it in the house? Yeah, not funny.