Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Unplugged Weekend

Our internet was out this weekend (insert collective groan here).

I know. It was awful. I was disconnected from the world, from my e-mail, my fantasy football team, my Facebook status updates, and the always comforting "virus database updated" voice that pops up every day or so (he was replaced by an ugly red X over the application - a sorrowful reminder that we were not up-to-date, and when we finally did get back online we'd better watch out).

It was nice. I didn't run downstairs every 45 minutes to check my Gmail, blog, and whatever popped up on Google Reader (I did run down multiple times to power cycle the modem, check the wireless router, jiggle some cords, and test the resolve of Mediacom's customer service reps -- but that's another blog).

What I found by Monday was that although I was annoyed that I couldn't check up-to-the-second injury updates on my football team, I still won my game. I didn't really get any significant e-mails. And the virus updating guy's calming baritone returned to keep our family spyware-free.

What I did do was hang out with my family a little more, visit the library, spend time with friends for beer & BBQ, and watch late-night (well, late for us) football and movies with my wife.

I'm glad my super-high-speed, YouTube-friendly internet is back and I wouldn't wish our plight on anyone, but there were some advantages to the forced time warp to ... 2004.

No time to count the many blessings (nor name them one by one). I'm off to share my wit on Facebook.

4 comments:

LaurieJo said...

Great post and great point! I often think I should give myself a forcible "computer Sabbath." Take 24 hours each week away from loading pictures, chatting, blogging and all the other stuff I love so much but takes so much energy. Plus, imagine how much money I could build up with no activity in Mob Wars?! Maybe this will be the week I do it! I'll let you know. :)

DVD said...

I get my Gmail pushed to my phone, so that can't happen...

Brian said...

Lemming.

Anna Casey said...

I gave up internet for Lent once, adding a day for each of the six weeks, so by the end it was a full week. It was a good thing, amazing how many needed things surface when it's quiet. It's a good reminder to do that more often.