Friday, October 31, 2008

Obama Live

I'm sure the world has been waiting with bated breath to hear my thoughts and opinions on the presidential race, and I guess I declared by attending the Obama rally in Columbia last night.

First of all, it was mostly gibberish, as various politicians (Jay Nixon, Judy Baker, among others) gave us the same attacks, rhetoric, and promises for twice as many services for half the tax burden. Baker teased us with a, "...and let's give Barrack Obama a great Mizzou welcome!! When he gets up here later."

Then we said the Pledge of Allegiance.

I don't think I've ever done that with 40,000 other people. It was one of those community bonding moments for me, as I stood next to an Army private with his family and said the words I've said thousands of times in my life. It felt different this time ... like it mattered.

Then he spoke.

Much of Obama's language was similar to what we've heard over the past few months, with many phrases copied directly from his Wednesday night TV special. But there was something about being there in person that was inspiring. I'm convinced that Barrack Obama is not a perfect man, and he will not be a perfect president. I don't even agree with some of his policies, in much the same way that I don't agree with some of McCains.

But I'm also convinced that things will be different after November 4, and in my opinion they will be different for the better.

2 comments:

Anna Casey said...

Very Cool! So glad you got to go.

DVD said...

Thanks so much for your call, Brian! I wasn't going to go but you inspired me. How Obama of you.
Sorry we couldn't locate each other, but the crush of people was beyond description. Interesting you mention the "community" feel as that is how I also described the rally. Just a few more hours before I strike my blow against The Man!

Yes We Can!