Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Happy bDay eBay

On this date in 1995 eBay was officially founded. I don't recall anyone having "World Wide Web" access in 1995 (though we might have had a few computers on campus with it), but I'm sure there were some Apple IIe machines, PEZ dispensers shaped like Yoda, and more than a few other random items.

Of late I haven't spent much time on eBay. When I do, I tend to use it more as a "price check" website than an actual place of business. It's nice to know somethings true value (i.e., the price someone - or a lot of someones - has actually paid for it).

And it is always good to know that if I need to replace my worn out "Hangin' Tough" cassette tape, I'll always have a place to go. Three cheers for eBay.

2 comments:

DVD said...

In 1995, I was running a brand new Compaq Presario: http://www.computermuseum.li/Testpage/Compaq-PC-1995.htm

And, I don't want to brag, but I had dial-up internet access using Netscape. Remember the old logo with a ship's wheel? Oh yeah, I could download a text-only web page in about 5 or 10 minutes...

Brian said...

Wow. I was still uploading/downloading e-mail using Juno (not juno.com - Just Juno) and just wishing I had Prodigy to surf the 'net.

On the weekends I'd fight with other college freshmen for my 15 minutes on webcrawler.com. It gave me just enough time to read about all the movie mistakes in Back to the Future and goggle over a 16-color grainy picture of Alicia Silverstone in short shorts. Ah, the good ol' days.